Thursday, October 28, 2010

Unattached.

Fate or free will?
Are you destined to travel one path in life or do you believe in the ability to chose your own path?

Of course this question was asked in my Humanities class this morning & I found it oddly fascinating.
My professor was telling us the tragic story of Oedipus,

[the son of Jocasta and of Laius, king of Thebes. Left to die on a mountain by Laius, who had been told by an oracle that he would be killed by his own son, the infant Oedipus was savedby a shepherd. Returning eventually to Thebes, Oedipus solved the riddle of the sphinx, but unwittingly killed his father and married Jocasta. On discovering what he had done, he put out his own eyes in a fit of madness, and Jocasta hanged herself.]

and the opposing themes of this story argues if Oedipus was doomed from the start by fate or if he actually had the option of free will.

Personally I am a believer in free will.
Probably because I'm not too fond of the idea of someone telling me what to do, even if it is a higher power. I like to believe that I am in control of my actions.
Plus, I change my mind way too often.
I can't really wrap my head around the idea that the choices I make are predetermined.
That's a little unsettling to me to think about.

I feel that if everything were based on the idea of fate than life would be easy and safe. No responsibility, no worry, no options.

With free will, life is a challenge and unknown.
But it's a life full of discovery, adventure,excitement and experience.
That's the life I'm living.
A life emerged in free will.
So, what's your answer?

2 comments:

  1. we're being such nerds lately! love it!
    my thoughts:
    i believe in fate! i think we're all made for some certain purpose and in the end it will be fulfilled. everything in between is free will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're smart. I never thought of it like that...

    ReplyDelete

Leave something behind...